Our Family

Our Family
December 2013

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Black Friday Shopping

When I was little I couldn't wait for Christmas! I can remember being at my grandmother's for Thanksgiving and when dinner was over all the adults would sit around and talk and us kids? We got busy on our Christmas lists! We needed to get them done so we could leave them there so Mom-mom and Pop-pop would know just what to get us.  This lasted for awhile, until I was big enough to no longer need to write a list, I could actually go shopping with the girls (my grandmother, mom, sister, and cousins, Aimee & Bethany) and pick out what I wanted.  And?  I LOVED it!!!

Yes, it's crazy out there but it's a tradition that I look forward to every year.  I can remember every year Mom and Mom-mom wanted to get started super early and my cousin, sister, and I would beg to start a little bit later, maybe closer to 7-8.  We would get there and visit what seemed like every single store until we found that perfect item and Mom-mom would make the purchase. After everyone was finished shopping we'd gather in the food court for lunch, Mom-mom's treat.  Ah, memories! <3

As we got a little older our group started to shrink and it eventually it ended up being Aimee and I meeting Mom and Mom-mom for our shopping spree.  Once we finished shopping, and lunch, of course, Aimee and I would break off and make a few mores stops on the way home.

Now that we have families of our own our shopping sprees with Mom-mom have come to an end because it's just easier to get a gift card or money since she has a billion grandkids & great grandkids.  But Aimee and I have continued this shopping tradition.  Every year we meet up at my house and off we go.  Mom-mom we be proud that we even started going a little earlier each year! You just can't find the deals that we do on Black Friday any other time.  And it's the best for when you have no clue what to get for someone because I can always spot something that someone has to have!

Patrick has always been able to work later that day so our shopping would work out. Now, he's in a different position and is forced to be out working at the same time we need to be shopping.  Not good.  This is a long standing tradition.  What am I supposed to do?  I can't imagine not being able to go.  It might sound ridiculous but as I type this I am getting the watery eyes because I am stressed out about what to do.  No one wants to babysit your kids at 5 am.  Everyone's working or sleeping.  This is one of those times that I wish Mom was still here.  There would be no question as to what to do.

Shopping is NOT supposed to be so stressful!  Stupid work schedules! Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment