Our Family

Our Family
December 2013

Sunday, February 17, 2013

On to the Crib

Aubrey turned 6 months on February 1st.  Yesterday was the 16th of February so she's 6 1/2 months old now. 

And? 

She was still sleeping in our room.  No, not in our bed. I've never been one of those parents that can sleep with a baby or kids in my bed. But, she was in the pack and play in our room, where she's been since she came home from the hospital.  

My husband thought she should move to her crib in her own room awhile ago.  Me? I just wasn't ready.  She's always been right there since she was in my belly.  In her room just seems so far away.  What if she needs us? Doubtful since she's been sleeping the the night for quite some time now, but I just couldn't do it.

I knew she had to move soon.  The longer she stayed in our room, the harder it would be for her to get used to being by herself in her own room.  I knew that, I just didn't care. Hey, I'm just being honest!

Finally, last week I was able to come to grips that it was time. To start preparing myself I would give her a bottle around 8 and then take her up, swaddle her and lay her down in her pack and play, still in our room, for bed.  {Before this she was staying downstairs with us sleeping in the pack and play down here until we were ready for bed.} This is when I really realized it was time to move. Patrick always showers at night and she was in trying to sleep and he would still have to shower. Not easy to sleep when someone is shaving and showering 10 feet away from you.  

I decided last night (Feb. 16, 2013) it was time to move her for good to her own bed. She went down pretty easily. She only whined a little and then she was out.  It was then that I realized, "Oh crap! I forgot to swaddle her!" She doesn't usually sleep very well if she's not swaddled at night.  There was no way I was gonna wake her up so I decided I would just swaddle her if she woke up in the middle of the night.  I checked on her a few times, each time she was in the same spot on her belly.  Sweet baby.

5:52 am was when that sweet baby decided she needed to wake up.  Too early!!! I tried to ignore her for a little bit because she was just chatting to herself but at 6 she was starting to get mad.  I go get her and she feels wet.  What in the world? I figured maybe she peed because she was sleeping on her belly and she usually doesn't? Then I unzipped her pj's.  Oh. My. God.  There was poop everywhere.  It was in the diaper, all over her back, all over her belly.  I couldn't even take the pajamas off! So bright and early, into the bathtub she went.  She seemed to be pretty happy.  Gross! That is a shitty way to start your day.  Literally!

So overall her first night in her crib went well.  She fell asleep on her own and stayed asleep.  Hopefully tomorrow she doesn't poop everywhere and sleeps just a little bit later...

No comments:

Post a Comment