Our Family

Our Family
December 2013

Monday, August 20, 2012

Aubrey's Birth Story

I think I finally have a minute or two to sit down and write Aubrey's birth story.  Let me tell you, I thought I was busy with 2...wrong! My days fly by in a complete blur full of diapers, bottles, snuggles, and chasing after the bigger two.  I love it! :-)

I had my regular ob appointment on July 31at 1:30.  I told my husband that he should come with me because it was at this visit that I was going to ask about pushing my scheduled induction back to the following week.  If you've been following, it was scheduled for August 3rd, but I was convinced that was my actual due date, not July 28th.  I'm one of those that doesn't like confrontation and always just goes with what the doctor says so I knew I needed back up from Patrick to stay strong.  I also knew that it was likely my bp was going to be high because I was stressed about having this conversation.  I was right, it was up when the nurse took it.

When the doctor came in she had a student with her.  Don't they always?! I don't need random students viewing my goods!!  I mentioned moving my induction date and why I wanted to (mainly I'm terrified of pitocin making the already awful pain even worse!).  She said that she would agree to it. Yay!

She then checked my cervix.  I was 50% effaced and 4-5 centimeters.  Woot! Woot!  The more I'm dilated before the pain comes, the better!! As she was down there checking things she asked if I had ever thought about having my membranes stripped. I told her that I hadn't because I heard that it hurt really bad.  Well, before I could say anything further, she was doing it, telling me that it feels like this.  Really?!?!  That mess hurt, just like I was told! You would think she would have waited for a yes or no before trying to kill me! She told me that I would likely have some bleeding.  Great! I didn't come with any pads or anything.  As we were ready to walk out the door, the doctor came back and said that she just saw my bp was up and that she wanted to send me to labor and delivery to have me observed for a little while.  I'm so glad Patrick came with me!

We got to labor and delivery and they got me all hooked up to everything. My bp was still up when I was on my back so they had me flip onto my side and it came down.  I knew it would, it was just up because I was stressed out about asking to move my date.  As I'm laying there I started feeling contractions. Nothing too painful, but I could definitely feel them.  Both of my other labors went fast and we didn't really have a whole lot of time to sit and watch the monitors so I'm thinking maybe he was reading them wrong, but Patrick said that they weren't really showing up there.  Some would, some would not.  Hmmmm, I knew I wasn't crazy and I could feel them!  I could really feel them in my butt, ouch. They were coming every 3 minutes or so but weren't really that strong.

For each and every one of my kids I have wanted an epidural.  I wanted an epidural before I even got pregnant! I didn't get a chance to have one with either one of the other two so I wanted to make sure that I had the option with baby #3.  But then on the other hand I didn't want one because I had gone natural with the other two so I know I could do it, but it's just nice to have the option!  I had so much anxiety over the pain that was coming my way! Nope, I didn't forget it from Emma's birth.  So I told Patrick that I wondered if we could just stay at the hospital and get it over with now.  Of course when you have your membranes stripped it could cause the real deal or I've read it could cause contractions that eventually fizzle out.  How the heck are you supposed to know the difference!?

When the on call doctor came to see me to tell me my bp was good and all my other tests were okay, that I could go home, I was kind of panicked.  What?!?! I don't wanna go home, what if this is it and I go home and then don't make it back in time for the option of pain meds?!?! I mentioned just staying there and she (very snotty in my opinion) made a comment about she thought I didn't want to be induced.  I didn't but I just wanted it over with! She said that they couldn't keep me because there were so many people there already, there just wasn't room.  She said that I could walk around the hospital for an hour or two and come back to see if any progress had been made or go home and be with my kids and husband and as soon as the contractions started getting stronger, come back immediately. Even if it was on our ride home.  She promised me that she would tell the next doctor coming in after her about me and that I go quickly so that they would be prepared for my return.  Duh! I'm having contractions every 3 minutes and I got to 4-5 cm by doing everyday things, I opted for going home versus walking around for 2 hours!

Once we got home we told my grandmother to be on stand by that she could get the call to come back to stay with Aiden and Emma at any time and I tried to relax on the couch.  My contractions which had started around 2:30 - 3:00 were still coming about every 3-4 minutes and were still all in my behind.  We ate dinner, watched some tv, and let the kids stay up later than normal just in case this was the real deal and I had to be away from them for a day or two.  Patrick and I questioned many times if this was it or not.  I was beginning to think it was, but he said probably not, because that's just how our luck goes.  :-)  At one point after the kids went it bed, I think they started feeling a little stronger, however, I was still able to walk and talk to Patrick through them.  Once I was convinced they weren't going away I told Patrick that he should call my mom-mom to come back over. I figured it was better to call her now (around 10:30 or so) than in the middle of the night.

Mom-mom got here and around 11:00 or so (time is fuzzy because I didn't really have time to pay attention to it) I decided that maybe they were getting a little stronger so if I wanted the option of pain meds, I better call them and head up.  The doctor called back and told me that he was told about me and to come on up and they would check to see if I had made any progress since earlier in the day.  One thing about me is that I can't talk on the phone in front of people, don't know why, but I can't. So when I called I went upstairs to do it.  Well I think walking up and down the stairs one time did it.  At that point, I knew it was time and we needed to leave.  When we pulled out of the garage I told Patrick that this was it and that that God didn't like me so this was his cruel way to make sure I wasn't getting any drugs again this time around.  We got to the hospital in about 15 - 20 minutes? And pulled up to valet.  Closed.  Great!  I told Patrick I wasn't going without him so he could park in the parking garage and we'd walk in together.  We got inside and of course where all the wheelchairs are supposed to be, there were none.  Okay, so walk a little more and we finally get up to labor and delivery.  After sitting in the waiting room for a few minutes, they called me back and got me settled in.  Contractions were still coming about 3 minutes apart or maybe sooner. I stopped keeping track!

The nurse came in and checked me and I was 8 cm dilated.  Yup, just what I was afraid of.  I stayed home so long that it was too late for an epidural. Again.  My other two babies didn't allow for anyone else to make it to the hospital but us before they came so luckily my husband called my girlfriend, Kelly and told her to head up now if she wanted to make it in time. The nurse left me in triage for at least 30 minutes and the contractions were coming back to back right on top of each other.  Some how we were able to see the other ladies laboring contractions on the screen as well and Patrick said my contractions were coming faster and stronger than the ones that were in the delivery rooms.  So why am I still in triage?!  Finally she came back and told me that they were keeping me.  Duh! They were sending me anywhere this time.

They wheeled me over to the delivery room because I didn't wanna walk there and got things set up.  Kelly made it in time and they brought her in the room. Thank goodness because I think having her there helped to calm both Patrick and my nerves.  My contractions were something awful and just about constant and I started feeling pressure.  The nurse checked me and said my bag of water was right there, but I was still 8 cm.  Honestly, I feel like this was complete crap.  I think I was ready to go at this point but the doctor hadn't showed up yet and she didn't want to have to deliver the baby.  I know my body, and my body goes quickly, it doesn't get to 8 as quickly as it did then just stall out.  With Emma I was at a 6-7 and turned on my side and within a couple minutes was at a 10.  It just doesn't make sense. Plus I was feeling the extreme urge to push and I don't think I would feel that way if I wasn't at 10.  Maybe...but I don't think so...this was my third time again, I know my body.  

I think I was asking her if I could push and she told me not too.  Yeah.  Like that's even physically possible when you feel the urge, it just happens.  I really tried not to, but I couldn't help it.  She told me that she could see that I was pushing on the monitor.  Oops! I told her "shh, don't tell anyone" :-).  At one point she was finally going to break my water so while I was having a contraction she told me to bare down while I swear she shoved her whole arm up there and pushed against the bag of water.  Well when it broke, it broke! That water shot out everywhere!!! I remember hearing Kelly say, "Oh!!" Hahaha The nurse got herself a little shower doing it that way! :-)  I was getting quite angry that the doctor wasn't there still.  I know he's got other people to deal with but I was ready about an hour ago and he still hadn't showed up yet.  I hollered at the nurse about where was he and then told her that I was going to push and she made a comment about did I want her to deliver the baby and I told her that I didn't care, but somebody was! She just wanted me to wait until the doctor arrived.  Well as soon as he walked in the door and around the curtain, I said, he's here and began to push.  Sorry Doctor, but I waited long enough.  Before he even got his gown on her little head was out and I couldn't stop there.  I swear she was born in one push!

As soon as she was out, Patrick and Kelly were both trying to see if it was a boy or girl.  The doctor looked confused and said, "Is it supposed to be a girl?" We explained that we didn't know because we hadn't found out the sex.   So after contracting just about 12 hrs of contractions (and about 2 hrs of oh my God, kill me contractions), we had our beautiful baby girl!!

Aubrey Grace was born at 1:42 am, weighing in at 7 lbs 2 oz (the smallest of our 3), and was 21 inches long.  She had the tiniest, most perfect little round head!  We are in love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment